A tiny dress for my tiny niece

Believe it or not, I only made one Christmas present last year. A little dress. And it wasn't even for my daughter!

My sister in law had her first baby on her 30th Birthday. Now that's a little special! This dress was for my sweet tiny niece. She is simply perfect. Really. I am not only saying this because I am her aunty. She really IS perfect. She is three months old and she already has a huge personality! Of course she deserve only the best! So...



I used one of Puperita's latest patterns, The Tiny Mice Dress. This pattern was actually Puperita's Christmas present to me (thank you again Annalisa). I first came across Puperita's patterns just over two years ago. In fact her Yummy Dotted Dress was the first PDF pattern I have ever purchased! I have used many more Puperita's patterns since. It is not a secret I am a huge fan of Puperita's work, so of course I was grateful and excited about such a lovely and unexpected gift. 

The Tiny Mice Dress pattern comes in sizes newborn to 6. The dress can be made with short or long sleeves. The pattern is beginner friendly. Once again I was very pleased with the pattern and instructions. I know Puperita puts a lot of work in her patterns, and it is certainly evident! 


My little niece and her family live in sunny Mildura where temperatures reach up to 40 degrees and above around Christmas time. I wanted to make a sleeveless version of the dress. Puperita kindly sent me an adjusted bodice pattern pieces. Once again, thank you! 


I used Japanese cotton lawn for this dress. I am not naturally attracted to pink, but I could not walk past this fabric. I just loved the print. Besides, it is not pink pink, it is duty pink, which makes it acceptable in my books. I only lined the bodice with soft pink voile. The dress turned out to be very light. Perfect for hot Australian summer days. 

My favourite detail about this pattern is the shape of the skirt. It is so perfectly girly!


My daughter will also have a Tiny Mice dress in her wardrobe. We just need to agree on fabric choices. 

27 comments

  1. This is so pretty! I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely delightful and love your fabric choice. :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry if this comment comes through twice - had to sign in after writing it and it seems to have disappeared. Anyway, the fabric is beautiful, and the dress is very sweet. A very thoughtful and lovely gift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same has been happening to me too Marisa. I started copying my comments because they were just going into nowhere! Thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete
  4. Just adorable, Jenya!!! Love your choice of fabric and the shape of the skirt is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious dress! Seriously one of the cutest things I've seen, it's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenya, your gift turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so lovely! Perfect fabric choice for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - this looks like a dress I've seen recently in a funky kids boutique. Beautiful job!! I hadn't seen this pattern before, I really like the curve shape where the skirt and bodice meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I'm also a huge fan of Puperita, Annalisa is just the sweetest :D and her patterns are awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful Jenna!!!! ♡ I have to check out the Puperita patterns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trine. I seriously love these patterns. I have a lot of them!

      Delete
  12. I love it Jenya, the fabric is feminine without being babyish - just lovely! Perfect for the very hot Mildura summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the sweetest little dress ever!! Love your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet little dress. The curved line of the skirt is such a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty! And how lovely to be an Auntie! And to have a little niece to sew for! Baby things are so fun to sew, and this is so pretty, it's making me a little nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for such sweet comments ladies. This dress was a very special project. I missed out sewing for my daughter when she was a baby, and oh isn't sewing for little ones so much fun? And everything is so tiny! It was such a lovely reminder of how little my own daughter was :) I thought the fabric choice was a little risky for a dress for a baby, but I loved it and am so happy it turned out lovely. Thank you all very much for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this dress is so pretty! The fabric choice is just perfect! What a lovely gift you have created. Will we be seeing more baby dress sewing from you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, sewing a tiny thing for such a cute tiny person was so much fun I can guarantee I will make a few more things for her for sure!

      Delete
  18. That is a super cute tiny dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute and so so little! Love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just such a cute dress! I had been searching high and low for a perfect dress to make for my 5 year old for Easter and I finally found it today on Puperita's etsy page (which eventually me brought me to you! :). I'm totally in love with her shop now - everything!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.